Smart Landscape Rebate Program
Temporarily Suspended Due to Covid-19—We look forward to working with you when the program resumes.
The Goleta Water District (GWD) Smart Landscape Rebate Program provides incentives to residential and commercial customers to replace water thirsty landscapes and inefficient irrigation with water-wise plants and irrigation.
The program is for residential and commercial Goleta Water District customers and covers a portion of the cost of pre-approved design, irrigation equipment, and landscape materials. Projects must be approved in advance and landscapes for new construction are not eligible. The program is not retroactive. Sales receipts and/or contractor invoices are required for all rebates.
How It Works
Customer schedules a “pre-inspection” site visit. At the site visit GWD staff review the garden, irrigation system, water history, and customer’s plan for landscape upgrades. Staff then takes a “before” picture of the garden. The application is completed by GWD staff and the customer. The application is submitted to GWD at that time. The customer then has 120 days to make the pre-approved upgrades and call to schedule a post-inspection. At the post-inspection, GWD staff confirms upgrades, collects receipts, and takes an “after” picture. GWD then has 60 days to review receipts and issue a check to the customer for qualifying design and materials. GWD reserves the right to require post-inspection photos be submitted by the customer in lieu of a physical post-inspection.
Any combination of pre-approved irrigation equipment and planting costs may qualify for a one-time rebate of up to $750 for single family meter customers and up to $2,000 per meter serving irrigated area for multi-family (HOA), commercial, and dedicated landscape irrigation meter customers (up to 2 meters or $4,000 per multi-family or commercial site).
- Landscape Design: 50% of the cost of landscape design, up to a maximum of $250 for design services. Design will only be rebated in combination with other approved materials.
- Irrigation Equipment: 50% of the cost of drip irrigation parts, sprinkler system efficiency retrofits, rotating sprinkler nozzles, and equipment for a laundry to landscape graywater system.
- Water-Wise Plants and Mulch: 50% of the cost of water-wise plants and mulch. Planted areas must be covered with a 3-inch or greater layer of mulch.
- Smart Irrigation Controller: 50% of cost of the smart irrigation controller. Smart irrigation controllers work on simple principles: provide the appropriate watering schedule; automatically adjust for weather changes; irrigate based on the needs of your plants.
- Pool Cover: 50% of the cost of a pool cover, up to a maximum of $300 per pool cover.
- Synthetic Turf and Permeable Surfaces: 50% of the cost of artificial turf and other permeable surfaces.
- Laundry-to-Landscape Graywater: 50% of the cost of laundry-to-landscape graywater system parts.
Click here to download the Smart Landscape Rebate Program Residential Application.
Click here to download the Smart Landscape Rebate Program Commercial Application.
Click here to download a Smart Landscape Rebate Program Information Sheet PDF.